Consultancy: Youth Guide to Advocating for Gender Justice
Despite the Nigerian Government’s response/effort to improve its institutional and policy framework which have not yielded the desired result. The situation of the country’s GBV has even worsened with the Coronavirus pandemic which has led to more increase in the rate of gender based violence across Nigeria. More cases of rape, sexual violence, and abuse of girls and women’s rights have been recorded during this Covid-19 and the subsequent lockdown in Nigeria. The Need to advocate for appropriate measures are put in place to ensure no one is victimised and gender inequality is brought to fore in every discussion, planning and national or state strategy implementations. It is important for stakeholders which include development partners, local authorities, nonprofit as well as civil society organisations to work together to raise awareness and provide platforms for citizens engagement, advocacies and demand for gender justice in Nigeria.
Connected Development (CODE) and YouthHubAfrica with support from ChristianAid will carry out a series of activities in Kaduna and Plateau State that include capacity building of gender justice youth advocates to ensure that the VAPP Act, Child Rights Act and other policies protecting the rights of women in the state are implemented and given adequate advocacy campaign for people to become informed. Doing this will not only reduce the incidences of violence against women and girls but will also ensure that adequate sanctions are meted on the perpetrators of these crimes. Forming this coalition of youth advocates on gender justice becomes necessary because of the incidences of GBV/VAWG/HP that are higher in the north with at least 3 of 10 girls experiencing one or more forms of GBV by the age of 15(NDHS 2013).
Scope of work: (Description of services, activities, or outputs)
- Assist with preparation, management, and updating as required of the training curriculum and Agenda
- Develop the youth guide to advocating for Gender Justice
Duration and working schedule: 5 Days
Duration: 18th November to 22nd November, 2020
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format, and deadline:
Expected travel: None
Required expertise, qualifications, and competencies, including language requirements:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience as a GBV expert
- Previous engagements, volunteer, or work experience with an organisation that supports the gender equality movement.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view during the development of the guide to advocating for gender justice.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of The CA Gender justice and Youth Engagement Strategy.
- Excellent communication abilities (oral, written and the ability to understand and be understood, diplomatic skills, drafting skills)
- Fluency in English
- Strong attention to detail
- Organizational, task management and strong analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure
Application Deadline: 16/11/2020 at 12:00 AM